NSR_REGEXP(5)NSR_REGEXP(5)NAMEnsr_regexp - regular expression syntax
This manual page describes the regular expression handling used in Net‐
Worker. The regular expressions recognized are described below. This
description is essentially the same as that for ed(1).
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A mem‐
ber of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expres‐
1. Any character except a special character matches itself. Spe‐
cial characters are the regular expression delimiter plus a
backslash(\), brace([), or period(.) and sometimes a carat(^),
asterik(*), or dollar symbol($), depending upon the rules below.
2. A . matches any character.
3. A \ followed by any character except a digit or a parenthesis
matches that character.
4. A nonempty string s, bracketed string [s] (or [^s]) matches any
character in (or not in) s. In s, \ has no special meaning and
] may only appear as the first letter. A substring a-b, with
aandb in ascending ASCII order, stands for the inclusive range
of ASCII characters.
5. A regular expression of form 1 through 4 followed by * matches a
sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.
6. A bracketed regular expression x of form 1 through 8, \(x\),
matches what x matches.
7. A \ followed by a digit n matches a copy of the string that the
bracketed regular expression beginning with the nth \(x\)
8. A regular expression x of form 1 through 8 followed by a regular
expression y of form 1 through 7 matches a match for x followed
by a match for y, with the x match being as long as possible
while still permitting a y match.
9. A regular expression of form 1 through 8 preceded by ^ (or fol‐
lowed by $), is constrained to matches that begin at the left
(or end at the right) end of a line.
10. A regular expression of form 1 through 9 picks out the longest
among the leftmost matches in a line.
11. An empty regular expression stands for a copy of the last regu‐
lar expression encountered.
SEE ALSOed(1), nsr_client(5).
NetWorker 7.3.2 Aug 23, 06 NSR_REGEXP(5)